Saturday, August 14, 2010

My day in food

So today was another fun food day. Last night we went to a really cool place in Dumbo Vinegar Hill House. It was really great, fresh food. BUT.... I forgot to take pictures, so I will focus on today.

This morning Dan and I went to one of my favorite places, The Lighthorse Tavern for brunch. The only thing you really have to look out for there is the live music they occasionally have has never ever been decent. We went an unusual route and got oysters to start, which is one of my favorites.

They are really tasty and high in iron and protein (31% and 6 grams respectively per 6 oysters) so I think they are a really great option for a healthy appetizer.

Then for my meal I got an omelette with house smoked salmon, feta, spinach, and roasted potatoes on the side. Had I know it came with toast I would have told them to hold it because it was totally overkill. I felt bad wasting food but I couldn't eat the toast. Overall everything was great though.


Later in the day, I went to the union square green market which was really hectic. But I got some really nice green beans and some fresh goat ricotta (made yesterday!) that I wanted to use tonight for dinner. So I made myself green beans and zucchini with a sauce I made with the fresh ricotta and basil (from my little window herb garden!) and I had it with a tin of sardines in water. It came out pretty nice, although next time I might leave out the onion I added. Despite all this healthy eating, (along with some fruit throughout the day) I still found that according to caloriecount.com I was STILL under in my protein. So annoying! So I heated up some edamame even though I wasn't particularly hungry. For the future, I need to figure out some high protein snacks to have on hand for situations like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment