Sunday, August 15, 2010

Lunch: falafel black bean cakes over a salad/ Why you should eat more fiber

Today after the gym I came home pretty hungry so this was a really great quick meal.

I took 1/4 cup of falafel mix with water added to make it mushy. Then I added 1/4 cup of re-fried black beans from whole foods. So simple, full of fiber, and really tasty! I split it into 4 little meatballs and flattened them into pancakes on the pan. Then I made a salad with avocado and carrot, topped with a dressing made out of the ricotta I got at the market yesterday, mustard, and balsamic vinegar. Really satisfying and flavorful!


Since I had this lunch that on it's own had 17 grams of fiber, I figured I would discuss the general benefits of fiber. According to the book I am reading, Good Calories Bad Calories, when fiber first started to be studied, scientists claimed that it had over-the-moon health benefits that turned out not to be true, like preventing colon/rectal cancer. Also, it turns out you can't just eat fiber along with tons of sugar and still be healthy (surprise, surprise). However, this does not mean that fiber is not great for you.

I for one notice that I am way fuller when I eat more fiber, because fiber is naturally bulky and non-digestible. According to The Nutrition Diva, who I also follow on Itunes, fiber slows down the entire digestive process, also inhibiting the amount of calories absorbed in the digestive tract. Sounds pretty good right? Another reason is that while people are out buying weirdo risky "cleanse" products at health food stores, they are forgetting that nature has provided us with all of the cleansing products our body needs: fiber. Every reputable source I have ever heard from has said that those cleanse products are a waste of time and money. Also, make sure that you get fiber from natural sources (sorry, fiber one) because the fiber found in added fiber processed food doesn't seem to be as effective (again, big surprise!). So get your fiber! I know I'm trying!

Photo from TheDailyGreen.com

1 comment: