Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Favorite Breakfast

One thing that really keeps people from eating healthy is forgetting to eat breakfast. I know we have all heard it a million times, but it is really important to eat not only a breakfast in the morning, but a healthy breakfast that will also keep you satiated until it is time to eat again.

I for one, find that if I only eat fruit in the morning, I will be hungry again in a really sort amount of time. And when it comes to breakfast bars and breakfast substitutes you can just forget it.

This is the ingredient list from a Nutrigrain bar.
Another thing I hear a lot is that people are not hungry, or even disgusted by food, when they first wake up. I don't really see this as an issue because there are ways (like the recipe I am about to share with you) to bring an easy breakfast with you that make it possible for you to eat whenever you feel ready.

So here is a sweet potato quiche that you can make on a Sunday, cut it up, and freeze it for the week!

This is you cooking up your great breakfast

I got the original recipe from the Weight and Wellness website but I tweaked it a bit so this is how I make it.......

What you will need for 6 portions:
12 eggs
1 of the little cartons of whipping cream
1 large Sweet Potato
1/2 a chopped onion
1 bag of frozen spinach (you can use fresh too)
Olive Oil or Butter
Another veggie like Broccoli or Cauliflower, or some healthy sausage (whatever you like in your quiche, I like the Applegate farm sausage with apple!)
Some Cheese to sprinkle on top
Salt, Pepper, hot sauce and Garlic to taste

9X13 pan for the oven, and a big pan for the stove

1) So first what I do is I peel the entire sweet potato until you just have a big pile of peels.

Just keep going!

2) then I take the onion and begin to saute them in a big pan with olive oil and some garlic.
3)After a few minutes I add the potatoes and fry them until I basically have a big pan of home made sweet potato hash browns
4) While your potatoes are frying crack all of the eggs in a bowl and whisk them a little to break the yolks.
5) Add the cream and mix it in fully.
6) Take the 9X13 pan and grease it either with butter or oil.
7)Take the hash browns and spread them through the bottom of the pan. Try to make it even but it's okay if you have a few bald spots.
8)Take the Spinach and defrost it a little so you can work with it. You might also want to get any excess water out of it with a strainer. Then spread the spinach on top of the sweet potatoes.
9)add the eggs mixture, and then put in the sausage and other veggies you want to add.

Here are some fall veggie ideas that might be good ideas for add- ins


Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 mintutes or it looks golden(ish)on top.  When there are 5 minutes left you can add cheese to the top if you want to. This is a really great breakfast because it is healthy and also has a good amount of fat and protein to start your day and feel full for quite a few hours!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the healthy breakfast idea.I am trying to omit gluten from my diet.Feeling much better already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's Great! I was doing it for like 4 days to see if I would feel different but then my mom told me about the pizza party so I have been eating it and I'll try again after today. They say you need 2 weeks to really see if it makes a difference. Glad to hear you feel better! They say 1 in 3 people shouldn't be eating gluten so it's worth it to see if you are one of those people.

    ReplyDelete