Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Back to school, Back to soup!

So this week we started school again, and this draws my culinary vacation of being able to cook whenever I want to a sad close. However, it also challenges me to be more inventive and look for recipes that are more specific for what I need.

I know I have blogged about soups that I have made in the past, but I just think soups are great. Especially because they freeze wonderfully, and you can then have them at any time.



This time I heard a great recipe on The Splendid Table.  Now we all know that shrimp is not super cheep (especially nice shrimp raised without pesticides), so what I really liked this recipe is that you use the shells to make your broth and it really comes out great. Before this recipe I didn't even think about shrimp shells being USED for something, but I will never be able to throw out the shells again without feeling guilty!

Here is a link to the recipe

I would walk you through it myself, but they did a really good job at explaining everything. I personally didn't have pernod on hand, but everything still came out really good.


What I also really liked about the recipe was that it really served as an outline for anything you want to do. For example, I didn't have celery or leeks, so instead I used carrots and red potatoes. This also makes the soup a little heartier so it really was enough for entire meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment