Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holidaze: Flourless Brownies!

Again, it has been forever. Finals week was rearing its head earlier this month and ever since Thanksgiving I had been finding it hard to find time for nutritional escapades. However, I now have weeks ahead of me of nothing but eating, cooking, working out, and working a little bit on my fashion portfolio. After Christmas I am even going to Seattle for a few weeks to see Dan so hopefully I will be able to put up some good Seattle foodie posts while I am out there.

So as everyone is either happily or painfully aware, Christmas almost upon us! I know between Starbucks attractive drinks in their nice red cups, people bringing in Christmas treats to school/work, or just the cold weather and stress all adding up, I have have the urge to eat a lot of bad things more often then I normally do. I also find it quite unhelpful when people talk about "holiday poundage" because generally I wasn't thinking about Christmas cookies until it was brought up, but then I really want some! Whatever reasons you have, many people struggle to stay on track around this time of year.

Just can't get enough holiday treats!

However, not all treats were created equal. There are some treats that, although they should still be eaten in moderation, are much better for you than their overly processed peers (and I'm not talking just fruit salad!). In general, it is better to eat a dessert that is home made rather than one that is processed or made with HFCS and veg. oil. That is pretty obvious. There are also some great desserts that go a little further by cutting out some other ingredients that can be harmful if eaten in excess....

On Sunday, my mom and I were craving some chocolate, and I remembered a recipe for flourless brownies that I saw on the Nutritional Weight and Wellness website. This recipe was gluten free so my dad could eat it and getting rid of the flour will really cut down on the excess carbs. There is also no added sugar so the only sugar in the recipe is coming from the dark chocolate. Not too shabby. Also, there were only FOUR ingredients, all of which we just happened to have in the house so it's not some fancy recipe that you have to buy stuff you will only use once for. So here is how to make it ....

1) 2 cups (or one bag) of dark chocolate chips (try to get a better brand that has as few harmful ingredients as possible)
2) 1 1/2 sticks butter
3) 6 eggs
4) 1 Tbs. vanilla extract

So you can save your flour for hiding your jewelery


1) First Pre-heat the oven to 350.
2) Take the chocolate and butter and melt them together in a double boiler and stir occasionally

Try to resist putting your head in the pot of melting chocolate

3) Take the eggs and crack them into a large mixing bowl. 
4) Take a hand beater and beat the eggs on high for about 5 minutes or until the eggs are thick and very well beaten.
5) When the chocolate is fully melted cool it a little bit and add the vanilla extract.
6) When the eggs are ready, slowly add the chocolate to them, stirring very fast so that the chocolate gets fully blended into the eggs.
7) When the mixture is fully combined, line a 9X9 pan with parchment paper and pour the mixture in.
8) Bake in the oven for about 50 minutes

Let cool and enjoy! Sorry I forgot to take my own pictures again, I was living in the chocolaty moment.


Oh and Happy Holidays! Hope Santa brings you something as good as these brownies.....

1 comment:

  1. Gracie! We miss your blog! people ask me about it all the time! Come On!

    ReplyDelete